Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Nasty One

A few nights ago, a sudden storm swept through eastern Guatemala. We had been having incredibly hot weather for the past month, with the temperature hitting 40+ on a daily basis. Believe me when I say that the storm was a blessing in disguise.

Now, back to the storm. At around 10:30 pm, the power had gone out as it often does. Ok, no big deal I just turned on the battery powered lights and went about my business. Soon after the down pour began, and it was chaos.

The wind was moving at such ferocious speed, I found it difficult to walk inside! I heard a loud bang from the living room and went up to investigate the disturbance. The living room was like a wind tunnel and the rear doors had been blown open. I made my way to the doors, and closed them, but the wind blew them open again in a matter of seconds. I tried to shut them again, but the wind would not have it and I finally gave up. I closed a heavy metal door in a different area, and while I was successful the wind and rain made it feel like I was being pelted with hail.

Fortunately the rain was gone after a few hours. However it would take over fifteen for power to be restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment